Issue: Adding a New Network Printer
“I need a printer added.”
“I am trying to print to a printer but it will not let me.”
Probing Questions: Do you know the name of the printer? Is this printer currently working for others? Are you able to provide the make or model of the printer?
Isolation: Isolation is a matter of determining which printer the client will need added. If the client is unable to provide the name, there are a few alternative methods that can be used. Checking another user’s printers or having the client ask another user in the office which ones are needed is usually the most efficient. Checking a print server is also an option.
Try printing a different document, to determine if it is the doc or the printer at fault.
Once the name or IP address of the printer is determined move on to the resolution.
For Windows 7:
Navigate to Start > Devices and Printers
Click on Add a Printer
Click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth Printer
At this point the printer may automatically appear. If not, click on “The printer that I want isn’t listed”
At this point you can either add the printer manually by IP address or by share location in the form of computerprinter_name
For Windows XP:
1. Open Printers and Faxes
2. Under Printer Tasks, click Add a printer to open the Add Printer Wizard, and then click Next.
3. Click A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer, and then click Next.
4. Connect to the desired printer using one of the following three methods. Click a method for instructions.Search for it in Active Directory.
This method is available if you are logged on to a Windows domain running Active Directory.
1. Click Find a printer in the directory, and then click Next.
2. Click the Browse button to the right of Location, click the printer location, and then click OK.
3. Click Find Now.
4. Click the printer you want to connect to, and then click OK.
Type the printer name or browse for it.
1. Click Connect to this printer.
2. Do one of the following:
•Type the printer name using the following format:printserver_nameshare_name
•Browse for it on the network. Click Next, click the printer in Shared printers.
3. Click Next.
Connect to an Internet or intranet printer.
Using a printers URL allows you to connect to a printer across the Internet, provided you have permission to use that printer. If you cannot connect to the printer using the general URL format below, please see your printer’s documentation or contact your network administrator.
1. Click Connect to a printer on the Internet or on your intranet.
2. Type the URL to the printer using the following format:http://printserver_name/Printers/share_name/printer
3. Follow the instructions on the screen to finish connecting to the network printer.
Considerations: It is important to ensure that the client is indeed sending jobs to the printer, please ask the client to verify that the document has come out of the device.