Description: My Website isn’t loading internally but is externally
Common customer description: We recently changed Web Host providers and ever since then we haven’t been able to load the website inside of our network but we can from at home.
Probing questions: When did this start happening?
How many people are affected?
What is the URL of the website?
Do you know the IP address it’s supposed to resolve to?
Are you able to get to the site externally (outside of the network)?
Steps to isolate: If it’s able to be resolved externally but not inside of the network, this is most likely because of internal DNS needs to be either setup properly or server cache needs to be cleaned out. Here are some steps to isolate the problem:
-Ping the URL of the website both internally and externally
-Try to load the website from both inside and outside of the network
-If you load the correct website outside of the network, external DNS is properly configured and the cause is internal DNS
Steps to resolve: At this point we should have the IP address that is being resolved to both internally and externally, also should have the URL. To start to resolve this you’ll need to do the following*:
* This is only an example using the sub-domain WWW. Depending on which sub-domain they need adjusted will be the A record you need to adjust. If they cannot get to domain-name.com internally, but www.domain-name.com works, the A record you need to change will be (Same as parent folder).
- Log into the server that is hosting their internal DNS
- There should be a forward lookup zone for the domain of the URL
- Once inside of the lookup zone, there should be an A record for WWW. This record should have the old IP address of the old website, change this to the new IP address.
- Also, there should be a Start of Authority record that has the old IP address, change this to the new IP address
- After these changes are done, right click on the Server Name and select Clear Cache
- Will also need to do the following commands on the server: IPconfig /flushdns after this command is done run this command: IPconfig /registerdns
- Once this is complete should be able to load the website on the server and will take some time to propagate through the network